Welcome to the 6th grade at Rio Seco School. My name is Mr. Fetty. I will be your child’s teacher this year. I am excited to have the opportunity to learn about you and your child. We are going to have a fun, engaging, and productive year in room 205! You and your child can expect a caring and fair classroom culture in which everyone is treated with respect (bullying will not be tolerated). This year my class and Ms. Peterson's class will be rotating for the subjects of Social Studies (which I will be teaching) and Science (which Peterson will be teaching). These rotations will take place on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays for approximately 1 hour. As such, we will be able to go much more in-depth in those respective disciplines to the benefit of the students.
I grew up in Santee and remained in East County San Diego through adulthood. I am a San Diego State alumni. I received my bachelor’s degree in 2009 with an emphasis in literature. Additionally, I have studied vigorously in the areas of music (including theory and audio engineering) as well as in the sciences. I have a strong passion for education and am happy to have been given the opportunity to be able to pass that love for knowledge on. Concerning my educational experience: I have substitute taught in various east county school districts, including the Santee School district, since 2010. I went back to school in 2014 to get my multiple subject credential after being inspired by the positive impact I had made on students’ lives via substitute teaching. I student taught for my esteemed colleague Colleen Peterson here at Rio Seco and was contracted the following year to teach at Hill Creek Elementary (also in Santee). My wife, Jolene Fetty, is also a teacher in the Santee School District. We have two children, a five-year-old son (Colton) and a 1-year-old son (Weston).
Student and Parent/Guardian Responsibility
- Student’s will receive a planner to keep track of assignments, quizzes, tests, projects, events, and homework. They will be responsible for filling the planner out and getting it signed by you at the end of the week (to be checked on Monday).
- As a valued team member, your child’s presence is vital for proper functioning of our class. Many of the activities we will be doing are collaborative and group based. Please keep absences and tardiness to a minimum.
- Please monitor your child’s planner and Powerschool account, taking time to look over their homework, classwork, and the grades they are maintaining. I have high expectations in regards to organization, neatness, completeness and the academic growth your child will achieve this semester. Reviewing his/her work and grades allows you to watch them grow intellectually and conveys a sense of care that all children need (even if they act like they don’t).
- Please note: As part of our district's Wellness Program, schools must follow strict nutritional guidelines and limit the non-compliant food celebration days per year. We will celebrate all birthdays for a particular month on the non-compliant food day for that month. If you would like to bring in treats they must be free of foods that contain common allergens, such as peanuts, and must be labeled as such. In additions these foods can only be consumed AFTER lunch. In the past, you may have sent in homemade cookies or cupcakes for your child's birthday celebration. Due to the prevalence of food allergies I ask that you preapprove the foods you would like your child to share with me prior to the non-compliant food day/birthday celebration day. A flyer will be sent home each month with students who have birthdays in each given month. The flyer will contain information regarding the specific date the celebrations will take place that month.
Students and Parents are often asking what kinds of supplies they should have for class. The following list is a guide with recommendations but not mandatory. This year my class will be using a ROCKET notebook as some of the other 6th grade classes do. ROCKET is an acronym for:
Really Organized Children Keeping Everything Together!
The idea is that students will keep the folder and subjects/homework organized to help them stay on top of their school work and have a very successful year.
- A 1-inch 3-ring view binder
- 5 tab subject dividers
- Sharpened Pencils (yellow No.2 preferred)
- Black dry erase markers (thick is best)
- Ear Buds/Headphones
- College Ruled 3 hole punched paper
- Colored Pencils
- Handheld pencil sharpener (for colored pencils)
**Please note that I do have a small supply of materials if children are unable to get some items and need them. Please just let me know.
Class donations (these items will be shared by all students)
- Wide-ruled lined notebook paper
- Black dry erase markers (thick tip)
Working together to help your child grow academically and socially is a top priority for me. Behavior will be monitored based on the district citizenship rubric. Disciplinary action will be based on the districts 5 Step System. Parents may be contacted via writing on the student planner, email, or phone conference, if needed. Students will be sent home with a PG movie permission slip that should be signed and returned to me as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns throughout the year.
Mr. FettyContact Info.You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (619) 956-5500 ext. 5575