Dear parents and 6th grade students,
Welcome to our Middle School at Hill Creek! This year I will be teaching 6th grade Language Arts and World History. I am thrilled to continue implementing our district's digital Language Arts program, Amplify. We will also be introducing the brand new History adoption this year! With this, I will be helping students become thoughtful, critical, and creative thinkers and individuals. I look forward to a productive and successful year of learning and working together with you in order for our students to achieve success!
Below are the general policies and guidelines which students will be expected to follow throughout the year. Please read through these and discuss them with your student.
- Arrive to class everyday on time.
- Use the restrooms and get drinks during your breaks.
- Throw all trash away in the trash cans…not in the desk!!!
- Raise your hand to speak.
- Stay in your assigned seat at all times unless otherwise instructed.
- Follow the dress code!!
- Respect the property of others and our classroom.
- RESPECT others!
Consequences for Poor Choices:
- Verbal warning/conference with student.
- Step (written warning given to student requiring parent signature).
- Referral resulting in loss of activity.
Curriculum for Language Arts:
- Assigned novels and literature following Common Core Standards
- Amplify (our digital district adoption)
- Scope Magazine
- Close Reading articles
- Academic vocabulary study
- Weekly Grammar Practice
- Oral Language – presentations, speeches
Homework/Class Work Policy:
Late Work Policy:
- If there is homework, the assignment will be written down on the homework board in the classroom.
- All work must be completed neatly and according to the requirements for the assignment in order to receive credit.
- Any class work not finished will need to be completed for homework.
- Failure to turn in an assignment will result in a zero (0) in the grade book.
- Any assignment turned in late (unless you were absent) will only receive partial credit.
- If you are absent, it is your responsibility to find out what was completed or corrected in class that day. Please ask another student in the class or copy their assignment sheet. YOU ARE NOT EXCUSED FROM AN ASSIGNMENT BECAUSE YOUR WERE ABSENT.
Recommended School Supplies:
- Grade level appropriate silent reading book EVERYDAY (digital or hard copy).
- Pencil pouch inside notebook.
- Pencils and pens (black or blue only, and red for correcting).
- Three ring binder with dividers for each class.
- Lined writing paper.
- Calendar or weekly planner.
- Grades will be given based on the total points accumulated during the trimester.
- Points will be given for homework, assignments, quizzes, tests, and projects.
- Progress reports will be generated halfway through each grading period.
- Please monitor grades using your PowerSchool Parent/Student Access codes. If you need this information, please let me know.
Attendance: It is important that your child is at school everyday. Students are more likely to succeed when they attend school consistently. Our school attendance motto this year is "Strive for 96.5%!" I know Room 206 will do our part to reach this goal!!
I strongly encourage all students to ask questions and/or come in before or after school for extra support in either Language Arts or World History. If you have any questions or comments now or anytime throughout the year, please feel free to contact me in my classroom at 956-5080 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. With solid communication and ongoing teamwork, we will have a successful and enjoyable year!!
Ms. Laura Goldman
My student ___________________________and I have read through, discussed, and understand the policies and expectations.
Student Signature: ________________________________
Parent(s) Name: __________________________________ Phone Number: ______________
Parent Signature: _________________________________