Social Emotional Learning
Santee School District has adopted a social emotional learning curriculum
for all students, TK through 8th grade.
What is SEL and Why Does it Matter?
- Social Emotional learning teaches students to manage their emotions, empathy, solve problems, make responsible decisions, and maintain healthy relationships.
- Click here for "What is SEL and why it matters" video
Which Program is Santee School District Using?
- Santee School District is using Second Step.
- Second Step is a research-based holistic approach to building supportive communities for every child using Social Emotional Learning.
- Click here for "What is Second Step" video
What are the Components of Second Step?
- Skills for Learning
- Emotion Management
- Problem Solving
How Often Will Students Receive Lessons?
- Students will receive one to two lessons weekly.
- Click here for a sample of a 3rd grade lesson
- Click here for "What middle school students think of Second Step" video