QUESTIONS TO DISCUSS WITH YOUR CHILD ABOUT READING
Pick 2-4 questions to discuss with your child after reading a story to/with your child.
1. What is your favorite part of the story?
2. Who is your favorite character? Why?
3. What is the setting of the story? (Where did the story take place?)
4. Is there a character that could have made better choices? What would they be?
5. What is the problem? How is it solved?
6. What do you think is going to happen next?
7. Why do you think (character) did (certain action)?
8. Did you learn anything from what we read?
9. Tell me something you thought was funny, sad, silly in the story.
10.Retell the story in your own words.
11.If you were the author, would you change anything? What would happen instead?
12.Make up a different ending to the story.
REMEMBER, THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS. The purpose of these questions is for the child to develop a greater understanding of the story. Listen to your child’s answers. You may be amazed at his/her thinking. Have fun and enjoy!