What students are considered homeless?

Students who live in:

  • Home of friends or relatives due to economic hardships
  • Emergency Shelters/Transitional Housing
  • Motels/Hotels
  • Unaccompanied

What are some common causes of homelessness?

  • Economic challenges such as poverty, unemployment/underemployment, lack of affordable housing, or single parent/single income
  • Health challenges such as disabilities, mental health issues, or substance abuse
  • Trauma such as domestic violence, child abuse, or natural disasters

If a family is in need of a deposit or rent payment for housing can the Homeless Education Program assist?

The Homeless Education Program does not have funding to assist with deposit or rent payment, but we can connect you to resources available in the community. Please reach out to the District Liaison Counselor to discuss.

What are the next steps to take in order for family/ students to receive assistance through the Homeless Education Program if considered homeless?

Fill out a Student Residency Questionnaire Form online. Families and/or students should then be contacted by the District Liaison Counselor to assist with requests and supports.


What is a Student Residency Questionnaire?

An SRQ or Student Residency Questionnaire is a form that determines homeless status.

What kinds of needs can the Homeless Education Program help with?

The Homeless Education Program can address immediate needs such as requests for transportation support, clothing, hygiene items, and emergency food. Assist with enrollment advocacy following the McKinney -Vento Act standards.

Does a homeless student need documents in order to enroll in school? 

No, the student does not need the documentation when enrolling. They have a 30-day window to provide documentation.

If a homeless student moves out of the district, can they get assistance with transportation?

Yes. If a student lives within the district and it is in the child's best interest to stay at the School of Origin transportation support will be provided by the district. If a student lives outside of the district both districts will share the cost of the transportation.

What happens when I call or reach out to the District Liaison Counselor?

Upon receiving your call, we will help:

  • students to enroll in school if needed
  • students to obtain meals and snacks at school
  • assist families with transporting kids to school as needed
  • ensure that Homeless and Foster students have access to all of the programs and services offered at school
  • obtain educational and immunizations records
  • connect families to outside community agencies to assist with health insurance, immunizations, health services and temporary housing, if needed
  • monitor and support the students academic progress and advocate for extra support as needed

 Contact the District Liaison Counselor

    Kirsten Stretton

District Liaison Counselor

MS in Educational Counseling, PPS Credential

Office: 619-258-2349


[email protected]

Text Description automatically generated with low confidence